Sunday 3 April 2011

Question 3 What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?

While my thriller boasts some qualities of an independent film (for example the way I have challenged character stereotypes) it is on balance more mainstream than independent. For this reason it is more likely that a multiplex cinema would show my film than an independent company. In order to get my film shown my first intention is to present my thriller at media events such as the Edinburgh Fringe or the Exposure festival in Manchester. These institutions are likely to present my film as they both seek to encourage young media produces and generally do not require their applicants to have any previous film creating experience. Another place to start would be to make my film available on websites such as Youtube. There are no requirements necessary in order to put a film on Youtube, this way I could reach my audience straight away, especially as my target is likely to use this website. From here I could branch out onto other websites such as xbox.com and download sites such as Amazon. Both of these sites are appropriate for my target market (15-21 year old males) and are suitable places for short films.

I would like my film to eventually be shown by the larger multiplexes if I were given the opportunity to complete it. In order to receive funding for my film to be completed I would appeal to companies such as Stealth Films. Stealth Films is a small British film company who produced titles such as Kidulthood and Adulthood. I would ask this company as their previous films reflect the same balance of mainstream and iconic that my own film does. In the same way as in Kidulthood my film puts younger people in older scenarios reflecting an innovative idea in a mainstream plot. For this reason Stealth Films would be a suitable place to distribute my film from as their audience is appropriate for my thriller. Another company who I would appeal to is Working Title because they would have the connections needed to get my film into the multiplexes however are still small enough to consider a script from a young writer.

1 comment:

  1. You have done some good research into festivals and where to send a first film. Having identified the film as mainstream you would need to be involved with a major production company from the outset. This section was a little muddled.

    ReplyDelete