Sunday 3 April 2011

Question 6 What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


In the process of creating my media product I was required to make use of various technologies, some of which I have had previous experience with however with others I have had none at all and therefore had to learn from scratch how to use them.
The Camera was an integral part of the process and, while I have used it before on previous projects, this time around I was required to have more in depth understanding. For example the contrast settings had to be adapted in order to see properly in the dark natural lighting I was using. Also I had to adapt the zoom settings from digital to optical to create a clearer image while using the zoom.



In the editing process I was required to use software that I have never used before. The editing programme I used was adobe premier elements 1.0. In order to learn how to use this I attended various tutorials on how it worked and enlisted the help of a more experienced user when I ran into difficulty. In order to create my film I had to learn to do the following:
-          upload the video from the camera to the programme
-          cut out parts of the original video in order to place them into a timeline so that I had a foundation to start editing with
-          finely cut out part of the film so that unnecessary images were not included
-          put in video transitions such as “dip to black” in order to create a flowing sequence
-          download and record other media to insert into the clip, for example music and voiceovers
-           put my selected soundtrack over the video and align it so that the sound increased in tension at the right areas
-          add in a post recorded voice over
-          add in sound effects such as gun shots and a recording of water
-          edit the sounds so that they did not disrupt the dialogue, i.e. make them quieter without making them suddenly drop in volume
-          create titles for the credits and film title
-          add transitions to the titles so that they appeared over the video but didn’t block it out completely
-          finally export the completed video

After this process I had to upload the video to Youtube. This process was simple but I hadn’t done it previously so it involved creating an account before uploading.

Other technology that I used was a dictaphone with a microphone attachment for various sound effects and the voice over as well as a tripod for steadier shots.

















After learning the importance of using different camera shots and angles I set about utilizing them in my film. I used a wide array of shot types such as over the shoulder, high and low angle and extreme close ups. The experience of creating this film allowed me to put into practise these skills.












Finally, the whole project came together as a result of using the internet. I was required to do research prior to creating my own thriller and I know feel far more confident in finding audience response and critical reception for films on websites such as IMDB. Also the use of blogger was vital in order to present all of my work. I had never created a blog before and so by doing so I have gained skills in both efficiency (labels and case studies) and presentation – making the blog look good.

1 comment: